Meditations Before Mass
Publication Date: October 29, 2013
Become a patron with a 7 Day Free Trial.
So helpful were these 32 talks that they were soon published and have since been reprinted countless times in numerous countries and languages, helping generations of Catholics to deepen their devotion during Mass. Practical, straightforward, and full of wisdom, these talks will help you to quiet your soul, concentrate your mind, and grow receptive to God's grace during Mass.
In these pages, you'll discover:
- The three principal hindrances to full participation in the Mass to which all of us are prone
- The real meaning of "keeping holy" the Sabbath. Its special importance for the family
- One tendency we must overcome when listening to Scripture readings
- How to gain control over your wandering attention
- The one indispensable element of a deep liturgical life
- What to do when the Mass becomes boring and "routine"
- How to achieve a genuine not superficial stillness
- The importance of listening. Inner barriers that prevent it
- Why it's good to arrive early at Mass whenever possible
- The true significance of kneeling and standing in church
- And dozens of other practical ways to enrich your worship
Although he was an eminent theologian, Msgr. Guardini wrote for ordinary Catholics who are struggling to become closer to Christ. Practical, straightforward, yet full of wisdom, Meditations Before Mass will help you to quiet your soul, concentrate your mind, and grow more receptive to grace.
Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila, Archbishop of Denver
"I encourage you to prayerfully read these reflections to help you participate more fruitfully in the Mass, the 'source and summit of the whole Christian life.'"
Rev. Michael Scanlan
Insightful and inspiring.
Fr. Henri Nouwen
You will encounter in these reflections one of the most important spiritual writes of this century.
Ellaine Hallett, New Oxford Review
Anyone wishing to delve deeply into the meaning of the Holy Mass will want to own this book. To read this book is to move to the most profound levels of the liturgy...Among Guardini s many talents is a remarkable ability to formulate succinct and illuminating definitions.