St. Gregory's Prayer Book
Publisher: Ignatius Press
Publication Date: February 20, 2019
Get it in 2-9 days via USPS Media Mail.
The St Gregory's Prayer Book is a beautifully produced leatherette prayer book compiled by the Ordinariates established by Pope Benedict XVI and drawing on the riches of the Anglican liturgical heritage and the exquisite Cranmerian language of the Book of Common Prayer to further enrich the panoply of Catholic liturgy and devotion.
The text includes ancient English collects, introits and hymns available together for the first time for the whole Church as approved examples of Catholic liturgy. In addition to the Liturgical texts, classic translations of traditional prayers and devotions for use in the Church and in the home have been lovingly compiled and edited in St Gregory's Prayer Book.
This lovely book of prayers is user friendly and accessible to Catholic faithful with a love of beautiful language and in search for supplementary resources for their prayer life that are both new and at the same time respectful of Church tradition. With gold blocking on cover and spine, and a silk ribbon marker.
1. An Outline of Duties of the Christian Life
2. Common Forms of Prayer & Professions of Faith
3. Various Prayers & Intercessions
4. Devotions for Days of the Week & Hours of the Day
5. Devotions for the Morning
6. Devotions for Midday
7. Devotions for the Evening
8. A Selection of Psalms
9. Divine Worship Collects
10. Devotions for the Church Year
11. Penitential Devotions & the Sacrament of Penance
12. Devotions for Holy Communion: Prayers Before & After Mass
13. Prayers at Mass: People's Order of Mass - Divine Worship: The Missal
14. Eucharistic Devotions & Visits to the Blessed Sacrament
15. Devotions to the Holy Trinity
16. Devotions to Our Lord Jesus Christ
17. Devotions to the Holy Spirit
18. Devotions to the Blessed Virgin Mary
19. Devotions to the Saints & Angels
20. Devotions for the Sanctification of Sickness & Death
21. Devotions for the Faithful Departed
22. Prayers for Various Occasions & Intentions
23. Emergency Baptism
The "St. Gregory's Prayer Book" is, hands down, one of my favourite devotionals. The book is bound with an attractive red leather exterior, and the gold icon of the sainted Pontiff from whence its name hails on the cover is fitting both content and colourwise. Even better, though, is what's inside on the pages! As the summary states, the SGPB is a product of the Anglican Ordinariates and the Patrimony they were established to protect. This means that readers will find hundreds of prayers in sacral English, a welcome treat in an age so flippant in its disregard for language. The devotions for the days of the week, as well as for the hours of the day, offer a wonderful way to consecrate time to God, its Author and Guide. The selection of Collects -both seasonal, sanctoral, and proper- provides the best of the BCP for use by Catholics. So to do the various and beautifully-rendered Psalms, an important part of Anglican spirituality made available for all the members of Christ's Church. I've personally used this book as an aid at Eucharistic Adoration, a companion for the Rosary, and an introduction to the unique "Sundays after Trinity." Additionally, the compiled treatise on the essence of prayer makes for edifying reading anywhere. Lastly, the section on the special Ordinariate Form of Mass is nice, although it's more of a brief overview than a hand missal. My one wish is that Ignatius Press had added pictures; besides from that, the "St. Gregory's Prayer Book" is a marvelous work which I have and will continue to recommend. Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman, pray for us!