A Devotional Journey Into the Mass
Publisher: Sophia Institute Press
Publication Date: January 18, 2018
If you're unhappy because the Mass has become for you routine or even boring and tedious these pages are for you. They teach you eight simple ways to make your every Mass a joyful time of piety and intense devotion.
Explaining the spiritual meanings behind the signs and symbols, words and actions of the Mass, author Christopher Carstens teaches you spiritually-enriching ways to enter the church building, make the Sign of the Cross, pray the Opening Prayer, listen to the Readings, prepare your soul at the Offertory, participate in the Eucharistic Prayer, receive Communion, and even respond to the Dismissal.
Soon with the help of author Carstens wise suggestions you will be surprised to find each Eucharistic Celebration a fountain of peace for you, a profound refreshment for your soul.
Among other things you'll learn from these pages:
- The meaning of the "sacramental principle": if you don't understand it, then Mass is almost surely flat for you
- How each element of the Liturgy has a sacramental quality about it, and can be for you a grace-filled encounter with Jesus
- How to transform your prayers at Mass into a conversation with God
- Why silence - both within the liturgy and outside of it - is a necessary element of that conversation with God
- What you should desire in order to receive the Eucharist most efficaciously (and what that desire presupposes in you)
- Coming and going through the church doors: what, each time, it should mean for you spiritually
Plus, at the end of each chapter, a list of action items for the next time you go to Mass, and much, much more to awaken in you the bright spirit of joyful devotion that we are all called to have at Mass
"This book is simply a delight -- from its grounding in the sacramental thought of Romano Guardini, through its wonderfully practical, beautifully written, step-by- step 'how to' guide to experiencing every key element of the Mass. It's exactly what the title says it is: a deeply satisfying journey to the heart of Catholic worship."
Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap., Archbishop of Philadelphia
"Christopher Carstens offers a guide at once profound and practical into the ways of full, conscious, and active participation in the Sacred Liturgy. By reading this volume prayerfully and attentively, we can all share more fruitfully in the celebration of Holy Mass."
William E. Lori, Archbishop of Baltimore
We Also Recommend
Star-Spangled Crown: A Simple Guide to the American Monarchy